Working in a cafe I’d always sneak a welsh cake when I was starving. 3 weeks ago the urge to sneak a welsh cake occurred and I couldn’t have one… Cue try a gluten free welsh cake recipe!
225g gluten free plain flour
100g of butter
75g of sugar
75g currants or sultanas
2 table spoons of mixed spice
1-2 tablespoons of milk
1. In a bowl put the butter and flour, rub the butter into the flour to form breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, currants and spice, stir for an even mix.
2. In a jug beat the milk and egg
3. Pour the egg mix slowly into the bowl to create a firm dough. You may not need to add all the egg mix.
4. Cover the work surface with gf flour and the rolling pin. Roll out the dough and cut into the desired shape.
5. Heat a pan or griddle over a medium heat. With kitchen towel rub butter in the pan so the dough doesn’t stick.
6. Cook until golden brown on both sides turning whilst cooking. Place on a cooling rack and sprinkle with sugar.
Serve with plenty of butter!
Happy welsh coeliac!! 😃